56 Center is a historic building constructed in 1842, located in the core district of downtown Nantucket. The building was originally a gracious residence and most recently operated as a guest house. Nantucket’s “ReMain” renovated the property for the use of two tenants; the primary tenant being the Nantucket Community Music Center (NCMC); the secondary tenant will support some functions of the Nantucket Community School (NCS). The Architect, BPC partnered with Agency Bel to create innovative interior wayfinding signage and environmental graphics and historically compliant external signage.
This building became a hub of activity for multiple generations and multiple ethnicities. It also became a place of civic and community pride for Nantucketers at large while providing an environment of artistic exploration and shared learning for the students.